Re: Bebop & Hard Bop

Great Link Scorcher.

>>(from: http://www.northwestern.edu/jazz/styles/bebop.html)

>>As far as Harmonica Players who play either style, I cannot think of
>one.
>>There may be limitations of the instrument in this regard. (Bird's
>phrasing
>>(for instance) is just WAY too fast.....)

>>However, to hear somebody really blow "Bi-tonal" jazz, check out
>Bill
>>Barrett www.billbarrett.net. He's WAY out in front in terms of
>risk-taking,
>>innovative jazz (also a helluva nice guy). I think this may be as -
>er,
>>"close" as harmonicists get to bop.

I disagree.  Howard Levy has no issues with parker like phrasing.
Mike Turk can do it too.  Have you ever listen to early Toots?  He
was a complete badass!!!  William Galison is also a fantastic player
as was Pete Pedersen.

Bill Barrett is one of my favorite players but is definately not a be
bop guy.  He could be classified hard bop but I prefer to call him
cool and very interesting.

Chris Michalek