From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of MLeFree
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:52 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Ramblin' on my mind (Of epic proportions)

sean stephens wrote:
8<... at this point I
> would like to pass on some anecdotes that I caught on
> a radio show here in Ireland a couple of weeks ago.The
> show looked back on the British tours made in the
> sixties by some of the great bluesmen and stories were
> recounted by  the young local talent of the day who
> had the opportunity to back them.Unfortunately I can
> only paraphrase the commentators and many of you guys
> have probably heard these stories but for the benefit
> of Mr Kite,here goes.

I love those old stories, Sean, and I really appreciate your sharing them
with us.

There must be hundreds of great old Sonny Boy Willamson II stories.  Here's
my favorite:

On one of those same American Folk Blues Festival tours, the musicians
rapidly determinded that European dining was a poor substitute for the likes
of good old home-grown greasy greens and such.  Since they couldn't find
that fare in any restaurant Sonny Boy got himself a great big coffee pot in
which he'd cook up beans and ham, etc. in his hotel room.  The odor would
waft down the halls and soon SB would have his room full of blues musicians
dining on his beans.  One time the odor wafted by the hotel detective's
office and he began to conduct a room-to-room search to find the source.  Of
course he soon isolated the odor to Sonny Boy's room and he rousted the
tough old "Goat" out to investigate.  Unfortunately, Sonny Boy wasn't in any
mood for someone to try and take his beans so he greeted the detective
rather rudely.  He proceeded to grab the dectective's necktie with one huge
hand and back the detective to the top of the stairs across from his room.
As he dangled the poor unsuspecting guy over the edge of the steps, SB
produced a rather large knife in his free hand.  The terrified fellow went
tumbling down the steps backwards when Sonny Boy cut his necktie off at the
knot and let him drop.  Sonny Boy didn't get any more complaints about
cooking in his room from ~that~ detective...  ;^)

What's your favorite Sonny Boy II story?

Michelle

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, http://www.valuepricehosting.com