Re: Clipping Reeds

On Mar 31, 2004, at 1:59 PM, Laughton, Bob wrote:

> Quite the week on HARP-L, no? Gives additional meaning to the word
> "harp"!
>
> Smo wrote:
>
> > I use tin solder
>
> What is your method of soldering? I have tried it on a junker harp for
> practice, and could not develop a suitable method on my own.
>
> Thanks,
>  Bob Laughton

   I suppose it's a matter of touch. I use very thin solder (sometimes
pound it thinner), and touch it EDGEWISE to the reed. You need to get
the reed hot enough to accept the solder, but NOT so as to ruin the
temper. I just heat till the solder will run or "wick" onto the reed. I
ALSO place a heat sink somewhere on the bottom half towards the rivet.
This can be as simple as a paper clip. I use a WET aligator clip.
Wetness is kept in place by sticking a bit of cotton back inside the
jaws. These are all secrets, so don't tell anyone. :)

smokey-joe