Re: Harpie on this and that

/************************  Big Snip ********************************/

> Hi smokey-joe,
>
> in answering to "Re: Clipping reeds" you told how you manage it that the
> solder
> remains on the reed:
>
> < You need to get the reed hot enough to accept the solder, .......>
>
> Hmmmh, nothing to say against that solder needs hot in order to melt,
> but I think
> it is crucial that the reed surface has to be absolutely clean so that
> the solder
> can form an alloy with the reed brass, otherwise, the solder only sticks
> on the reed.
> What do you think?
>
> Siegfried

This is a fine point, but I can't resist the chance to be
pedantic--please bear with me.

Cleanliness is necessary, but the only thing that melts is the solder.
Soldering and brazing differ from welding in that the base metal(s)
don't melt.  There is diffusion between the solder/braze and base metal,
but it's at the micro level.  There isn't a well defined layer of metal
of intermediate composition like you might see in a weld.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the web.
That's me.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly