Re: bopalula

awimhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> One of the things that Little Walter was known for was applying a jazz
> saxophone sensibility to the harp - particularly swing but also some
> bop influences.

I started to play chrom harp when I was 8 years old, back in 1956.... In the
early 1960's a guitarist friend by the name of Rick Atwell, played me a Chess
LP called "The Best of Little Walter", It had been imported from America to
England... Now I'd been playing harmonica  for about 5 years then, and I thought
I was pretty good.... But I said to Rick "Hey man, what instrument is Little
Walter playing... is it a sax?" " NO" he replied.... It is a diatonic
harmonica".... I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!  I honestly thought that Little Walter MUST
have been playing a tenor sax... BUT HE WAS PLAYING a 10 hole DIATONIC
HARMONICA.... OK, these days there are quite a few great diatonic harp players... But at
the beginning of the 1960's I had quite simply NEVER  heard anything like
it... It was just fantastic. And it still is... "Sad Hours"... Little Walter...
So from that day on, I have devoted myself to attempting to make wonderful
music on the harmonica, just like Little Walter had done before me.... And Sonny
Boy Williamson, and Howling Wolfe..... I don't copy them, but I am happy to
admit that those 3 guys really inspired me... as well as Max Geldray & Larry
Adler on the chromatic!
I did get to see Little Walter live on stage at the Hammersmith Odeon in
London England, (now the Hammersmith Apollo) back in 1967...
I am so glad I am a harmonica player.

John "Whiteboy" Walden
London
England