[Harp-L] Reflections of SPAH 2004

After having a week to revel in the experiences of my two days at SPAH 2004 I thought I would share some of them with those of you who were unable to attend. Hopefully you might make it to Kansas City next year, for SPAH 2005. This being my first SPAH, I had no idea what to expect, but probably thought that there would be a lot of "big heads" wanting to show off their playing skills, and not giving us beginners the time of day. BOY, was I ever wrong!!! I came away thinking that harmonica players are some of the warmest and friendliest people in the world. I already knew that Tulsa Read was a real, alright kind of guy, after meeting him in Kansas City, a while back. But when I met players like, Doug Tate, Phil Duncan, Cara Cooke, Mad Cat Ruth, P.T. Gazell, Jelly Roll Johnson, The Sgro Brothers, The Dallas Harmonica Trio, and the list just goes on and on, I was fully convinced that I was going to do all I could to make it to Kansas City in 2005.

I really enjoyed the teaching sessions and work shops, that I attended.
Tulsa Read, Cara Cooke, and P.t. Gazell, did an outstanding session on
bluegrass harmonica.  I felt that the information was clear and useful.
(only a little over my head) :)  It was very reassuring to see the many
different styles of playing.  By the way P. T. if you are reading this, I am
intrigued by the way you hold the harmonica.  I think its cool.  I also
thought that the Gospel harmonica workshop was instructive, and helpful.
THe one thing that I remember was the stress on simplicity and variety in
playing, so to keep the performance interesting for those listening.

The high light of the two days was around the table just out side the main
hall on Friday night. I wish that I would have gotten the names of two
gentlemen, that were playing the guitar, with the harmonicas in the racks. (maybe someone knows who I am referring to) They were great!!!!
For almost two hours there were some very special memories made for one
of the 'Harmonious Hearts' players. When I get the names, and permission of
the daughter, of Grace I hope to put the whole story together for the next
SPAH news letter.

I only wish that I would have been able to attend for the whole session, but
now I have that much more to look forward to next year, in Kansas City!! "God willing"

H.F.&K.P.

ozark d-man

Harmonica players never make mistakes,
They just "Blow It"