Re: [Harp-L] Making connections

<quote>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:10:46 -0700
From: "Mark Wilson" <markwilson53@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Making connections
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
I've had a few experiences where I've looked at and adopted something fairly
basic and simple, that has completely revolutionized my harmonica playing.
8<
 Here's what's getting me now.  I spent about an hour recording myself
tonight playing 3rd position over a major I IV V.  With annoying regularity,
I went up the the 8 draw on the one chord and worked myself down to the 1
draw. When I went back and listened the recordings, I thought to myself,  if
I've played that lick once, I've played it five hundred and eighty seven
billion, gazillion times!  OUCH!

This is my biggest problem right now.  If you can't tell already, I'm in
major slump mode, and have been there for almost 2 months.  I'm looking for
something to snap me out of it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark
</quote>

Pattern breakers. Practice in 3rd position and make your single objective to
stay off holes 1 & 8 draw.  Then when you can do that predicably, practice
in third position focusing on playing anything other than downward runs.
Assuming you haven't already, you could grab a 16 hole chromatic (or Tenor C
12 hole) and play 3rd pos over D or Eb on that instead, that should be a
pattern breaker without being too tough to adapt to.

However the first thought that I had when reading your email:
  Find tunes played in 3rd position by harmonica players you look up to, and
start by mimicking them.  As you it becomes habit you can start messing
around with it and draw ideas that work from it.

-- G.