Re: [Harp-L] Re: Original voice vs. clone

----- Original Message -----
From: "lists" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 1:00 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Original voice vs. clone

> Larry,
>
> Thanks for saying it way better than I did. I guess my point was simply
that
> cloning well or not cloning well, it's still cloning. And if that's the
> living you wanna make, all the more power to you (generic you, that is).
> It's not my cup of tea, but that's just me.
>
> You know what, I definetely need to take some harp lessons from you one
day,
> but I'm even more eager to take some zen lessons...
>
> ;-)
>
> Ben

Hi,
Iron Man Mike Curtis sometime back had mentioned something I think is very
true and that no one lives in a vacuum, and even the most distinctively
stylists, regardless of the genre they're playing had influences and
everything they do comes from somewhere, and at some point, if one listens
carefully, you can clearly hear their influences because some of the
phrasings of their influences are and will be quoted. The thing is in the
learning process, something we've ALL gone through at different times, when
you need to learn about any player's style, it's not uncommon to want every
single recording they've ever done to learn every nuance, etc., about them,
even to the point of cloning to understand how and why they did what they
did. At some point in time, a really good/great player is going to come to a
point where they don't need to clone anyone, and have absorbed enough to
understand how they THINK musically, and then put their own spin on it so
that they can give you a FEEL of what their influences do without the need
of playing those licks note for note, nuance per nuance, and yet sound like
themselves. It takes work, but it's worth it. Some people never come to that
point, and a classic example of that, tho not in a harp context  was a blues
singer named H-Bomb Ferguson, who spent many years cloning the great Jump
Blues singer Wynonie Harris. Even when one eventually gets their own
distinctive style/sound, they do have to make adjustments to what they do to
PROPERLY fit within the context of what's going around them or they're gonna
be like oil and water.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA