[Harp-L] Story on John Hall & Bean Blossom

There's a nice write-up on John Hall (of Harp Depot .... and Harp-L ..... fame) and his Bean Blossom festival in the Indianapolis Star (www.indystar.com/articles/4/177383-9884-062.html)! I've pasted the text below. Good luck this weekend, John!
MN

Founder of music festival keeps harpin' on the blues

By Jason Thomas

September 10, 2004
NEW PALESTINE, Ind. -- Crammed between stacks of harmonicas, John Hall unsheathed a shiny silver model and effortlessly blew a few bars of the blues.
It didn't matter that Hall was in his garage, a far cry from the Slippery Noodle Inn, where he first heard the blues harmonica 14 years ago, while walking down the street with his father.
Now Hall has his own line of harmonicas and is founder of one of the area's most popular music festivals. The sixth annual Bean Blossom Blues Fest will be held today through Sunday at the Bill Monroe Music Park in Brown County.
Hall, now 40, launched Harp Depot, an Internet-based harmonica store, in 1996.
After a successful first couple of years, Hall decided to host a customer appreciation celebration, initially dubbed "a jam in the woods," in Brown County.
"At first, the public was not let in," Hall said from the garage of his home, which doubles as Harp Depot headquarters. "Then we said it would be foolish to not let the public see it."

Expecting 10,000
This year, 10,000 people are expected to attend the event, a weekend-long concert and jam session in which festivalgoers play music around campfires long into the night.
"I think the appeal is that this is rockin' blues in the country," Hall said. "People can go there and feel comfortable to come in and play their own instruments."
This year's headliner, guitarist Walter Trout of Canned Heat fame, who also toured alongside John Mayall, the godfather of British blues -- can't wait to arrive in Indiana.
"We had great attendance last time," said Trout, who played the fest three years ago. "It's a very responsive crowd."

Homage to Monroe
While on the Bill Monroe stage, Trout said, he might pay homage to the bluegrass great.
"Even though we're considered a blues-rock band, there's a good possibility we may have to do at least one Bill Monroe song," he said with a laugh. "I can't help it. I'm very much a closet bluegrass fan. I have been all my life."
Hall calls Trout his favorite guitarist. With posters of blues gods and goddesses plastered on the walls, and with his shirt bearing rock icons like Jimi Hendrix and Mick Jagger, it's hard to believe Hall has just one.
The music's been in his blood since he was 5 years old and began playing the harmonica.
"It's always been something I've loved," said Hall.
Each year at the fest, Hall hosts what he calls the world's largest harmonica contest, drawing up to 40 entrants in three age classifications. Some of the world's top players, including Chicago-based Joe Filisko, are judges.
"I don't ever want somebody to feel bad about how they play their music," said Hall, adding that each entrant receives a prize.
"There's never a loser."
Hall's own line of harmonicas, called Bushman -- a homonym of the original harmonica, spelled Buschmann -- is crafted in Klingenthal, Germany, and wrapped in newspapers from the small town.
While Hall sells harmonicas and a wide range of other instruments year-round, he can't help but look forward to a certain weekend each summer.
"What makes it special is that it's a getaway," he said of the fest. "You're camping, you feel relaxed, and it's all about the music.
"It's just a really cool weekend."