RE: [Harp-L] Used Harps

Easy way to clean harmonicas: Put metal in a glass, put warm water to
cover, and add a denture cleaner tablet. The problem is that it tends to
tarnish the brass. But, if it's a chrom - you can count on not damaging
the valves and/or windsavers.

You can use newsprint to clean between the valves and windsavers.

Don't soak a wooden comb. I was personally thinking that a small dose of
denatured alcohol and a cotton swab could help remove the grundge
without a real chance of swelling the comb - but - and nice emory board
and a gentle touch might help. Some folks might find that they are
alergic to denatured alcohol - but if you basically strip your wooden
comb of grundge and go right down to the finish - you should look into
sealing it back up with (pharmaceutical) bees wax - or some other
NON-TOXIC wood sealer.

As for complex wooden combs found on older chroms, etc., if you HAVE to
soak them - and the swell - there may be a good chance you can save them
with the glucose applications. I read a while back that glucose replaces
the water or displaces it - anyway - that stuff is relatively cheap to
buy, and you can apply it to really beat up wooden combs to help restore
them (from being warped or swollen) - the severity of the damage
dictates how many applications you need to do.

All in all - just remember - I would not recommend boiling the reed
plates or combs - but some covers I am sure can be bioled for a short
period of supervised time. A passive way to sterilize may be iodine.
Homebrew folks sterilize their bottle with a 1/1000 mix or so - it's a
real small amount of iodine in the water - that should also kill
bacteria if you don't like bleach.

Mark Wilson said he used steam to clean his pieces he is offering for
sale - that is likely a good start. Especially, if the use of the harps
is very minimal. but, again - keep the moisture applied to wooden combs
to a minimum.

I have to agree though - using another players old harp is like using
someone else's toothbrush. I pity the fool that swipes one of mine - I
smoke, and drink beer at practice sessions - so it would be like a
mummies curse upon them. haha.

hope I have helped in a small way. A lot of this advise assumes you have
the fundemental mechanical skills to take apart and put back together
any type of harmonica.