[Harp-L] Filisko harps--another perspective...

It bothers me to see people on the list denigrating their own abilities and
acting as if Joe's harps are "above them" from the artistic perspective
(not the financial, but more on that below).  Because they are what every
harp player should have.  By example,  I've had Joe's harps ever since he
started making them, slowly building a collection that encompases most keys
(all single plate diatonics, with a few exceptions), duplicates in some
that get more use.  For all practical purposes I've been playing the same
set of "gigging harps"--all Filiskos--for over five years;  I gig from 6-10
times each month and have been doing so for the past few years running.  We
now play a set list about 80% acoustic, with no
drummer--guitar/mandolin/national/banjo/bass configuration among the other
three guys--and I don't do any overblowing.

In that time I think I've sent back maybe five harps to Joe for a single or
double reed repair, or a general tune-up.  They have expanded my playing
abilities enormously in large part because they play so effortlessley and
require so much less "work" to just get such a remarkable sound.  This has
transformed my approach to the instrument, and allowed me to learn more
about dynamics than anytime in the 30+ years I played before Joe went into
business.  I have had many opportunities to let my students play them as a
point of comparison with their "out of the box" instruments, and they have
all--to the number--lighted up with the ease of playing, the great sound,
and the quality;  many of my students have gone on to purchase harps from
Joe, Richard and Jimmy.  Many of my customers have, too.

>From the perspective of finances then, if you take the price of a Filisko,
then amortize it over years of playing time, they really aren't that
expensive, especially when figuring the not on the cost of constantly
replacing harps, but also the "attitude trauma" we all go through when one
of our harps, just broken in right, suddenly goes south.

Everyone should own not one, but as many as they can afford over their
playing career.  Not only a good investment, but they'll let your playing
jump forward by leaps and bounds......TOM ELLIS/Tom's Mics