[Harp-L] Jason Ricci / Michael Peloquin / JJs Blues Club in San Jose CA

Michael Peloquin posted that Jason Ricci was playing at a San Jose, CA
blues club tonight - so I took the drive and caught some of the show.

The show was supposed to start at 8 but instead started at 9 - this did
not go over well with Jason.  Nevertheless, at 9PM the band took the
stage and immediately tore it up.  The band and Jason are obviously
road-hardened, very talented, and despite the fact that there was an
underwhelming turn-out (~20 people) - Jason, the band, with Michael
Peloquin helping on sax were professional and played as if there were
1000 people in the club.

JJs Blues Bar is an archetypal dive bar and tonight it included the
obligatory drunk Gus with a harp in the wrong key.  Mr. Peloquin was
somehow able to communicate with this individual that his harp playing
was not appropriate.  Mr. Gus put away his harp and proceeded to dance
spastically for the remainder of the evening.  It was distracting but at
least he stopped playing his harp.  Thank you Michael!

I had never heard Jason Ricci before and it was a treat - brilliant
amplified tone, precise speed - extremely fast articulated notes,
original phrasing in mostly a blues and rock vein with an occasional
foray into jazzier sounds.  He is clearly a major talent on the
diatonic.  The band is rock solid, they don't overplay, and they seemed
to enjoy themselves despite a grueling schedule and a disappointing
turnout and venue.

This is a band and harp player worth seeing if you have not already done
so.

Thanks to Michael Peloquin for tipping me off to the show and for
defusing the Gus problem.

Sincerely,

Eric Wesoff
Woodside, CA