[Harp-L] Re: On Howard Levy's Style

Hi...

Should we call you Hotmail ?

;-)

I'm a big jam band fan as well, and I really dig the HL era Bela Fleck stuff, although there's some really great stuff in the more recent years as well (Live at the Quick is an A-mazing concert, especially the DVD).

Could you pinpoint the specific live shows with HL at archive.org ? I wouuldn't mind snagging a few of those if the sound quality is decent...

I haven't heard much from this harmonica master except a few awsome live shows with Bela Flek found on www.archive.org, but I'm already in love with his unique sound and abilities. Although I have nointent on replicating his playing as I only have a year of good practice under my belt, I'd love to see some tablature to his work to get a better understanding of the basic ideas surrounding his intresting hybrid style. I'm a semi-profficent at overblowing and a decent bender so maybe i can work on some riffs of his at a good tourtise speed.

Not sure where you can find actual tablatures, but there's a couple of things you can do :

- find a copy of HIP issue 4, which has a lengthy and very informative interview with some tablatured stuff if I remember correctly (more info here - http://www.angelfire.com/music2/harmonicainfo/products/magazine/hip4.htm)

- find a copy of Howard Levy's instructional video. It's musically challenging but there's lots of stuff to be gleaned from it. Actually, that is where I understood modes from, so that may help !

- check out www.levyland.com. Not only is there a lot of info on Howard, there's stuff on his discography and on keys used on which albums / tracks.

If you're looking for some really great HL listening besides BFatF, my favourite pick would be :

- Rabih Abou-Khalil : The Sultan's Picnic. Stellar world jazz with stellar harmonica

- The Stranger's Hand : Powerful jazz rock with HL on harmonica and keys

- Trio Globo : Carnival of Souls, world jazz trio with cello and percussions.

Ben