[Harp-L] Re: Cappuccino anyone ? (long)

I sent in a write-up last week on the Levy/Sprawl CD, I wanted to share with
y'all my experience with another NEW Howard duet CD......here
goes..............

Cappuccino (Balkan Samba Records)

Howard Levy and Fox Fehling
http://www.balkansamba.com/cappuccino.php

     A title more fitting they couldn't have picked! When you sit down to
start your listen, I would highly advise doing what I did, run out to your
local gourmet coffee shop pick up a Cappuccino (or I guess a Café Latte will
do). Either pop this CD in your car or home player and let the MUSIC take
you to that "little table" out in the Piazza (in your mind). But an even
MORE fitting reason for the title is that Howard & Fox met in 96' at at
place called Café Express in Evanston, IL....I think I know what they
ordered as a beverage that day,-))

    It's a very intimate endeavor, that features two superb musicians (that
happen to be partners) making beautiful Music together in their home.

    Fox is in prime form on her 1730 Gofriller Violin (formerly owned by
Jascha Heifetz). Her playing sounds effortless, which is quite impressive
when attempting to execute Sonatas by Maestro Mozart.
    The first 3 cuts are Mozart's Sonatas for Violin & Piano #' 10 ( 1st
Movement), 16 ( 2nd Movement) & 17 (1st Movement). Howard mic'ed the room
for a very wide and airy "naturally reverberating concert hall sound" so you
get a 'real' live performance quality.

    Howard's classical chops are also in top form here and he appears to be
quite comfortable on his 'home ' Piano. I even heard what appears to be a
slight "bench" squeak at the top of the 2nd Sonata which really made me
think "I" was there at this performance taking it ALL in,-) It's fun to hear
these two musically  "breath"  together on these classical masterpieces.

    But hold on to your coffee cups folks, this is NOT just a lil' Classical
CD, This couple cannot be bound by a single genre of music, therefore, like
a good Cappuccino, it's the "Blending" of the Beans and Steamed Milk that gi
ves us a variety of flavors when the foam hits our lips............so a
tinge of Bluegrass and Jazz will help to 'round out' our little cup of
Italian Coffee as we continue to sip and enjoy!

    The 4th track is an original piece by Howard, "Spanish Serenade", the
notes tells us he was about 10 or 11 when he wrote the first 2 parts this,
but upon meeting Fox in 96' he added the rest, that's where you hear the
Violin enter. I found this to be a very catchy melody and Fox plays this
with much emotion and musicality.
    Howard sprinkles into the mix, a short overdubbed Diatonic solo and the
whole piece takes on a romantic flavor that almost made me pick up the phone
and call my local dance studio for lessons!

    The 5 & 6th songs (Manic & Buzz) are very short (about a half minute
each) musical vignettes written by Howard for Fox to play SOLO. Writing
something like this is a scary enough task, but even more compelling is how
Fox can turn the little "dots on paper" into MUSIC! Whew! #$%^&*

     The difference between a 'Violin' and 'Fiddle' is tantamount, the
instrument is the same but the playing approach is what separates the two in
a BIG way!    Most, trained Violinists can't quite get a handle on the
aspects of real "Fiddle" music but Fox is one of the exceptions.

    (I remember playing in the Orchestra Pit on Broadway in "The Will Rogers
Follies", we had a string section as well as a Fiddle player that sat next
to me to play the country style stuff his name was Larry Campbell and in the
show he played Fiddle, Pedal Steel, Guitar and 5 String Banjo. The point
being, one night he sent in a 'sub' who could play all those instruments but
NOT the fiddle. The conductor said, we'll have one of the Violin players do
the "Fiddle" parts. Well, to make a long story short, the "Hoe-Down" piece
became a "No-Down"...it was totally groove-less and sounded nothing like the
Fiddle we were used to hearing every night. I realized the difference and SO
did the conductor. No disrespect ofcourse to the Violinist who was only
trying to help us out of a pickle.-)

    The song that shows off Fox's Fiddle is the Traditional "Cottonpatch
Rag", this version was arranged by one of her teachers the great Mark
O'Connor. Howard is on Bluegrass style harp as well as Mandolin and joined
by  Guitarist -Chris Siebold and Bassist - Eric Hochberg. When I meet Fox,
I'll have to let her know about the career 'doubling' opportunities on the
"Great White Way"!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This Rag really kicks in a nice laid back way....awesome fiddlin' Fox!

    I'm glad as I started nearing the end of this recording that I still had
some Cappuccino left, as my favorite ballad in the world was coming on!!!
    I'm a Singer (that plays Harmonica) and when I hear an instrumental
performance of a great standard, my opinion is ALWAYS based on how the
player 'sings' the melody on his/her instrument. This singer was NOT
disappointed, the best version I've ever heard of this song is by Johnny
Hartman/John Coltrane period!
    Howard and Fox have captured the essence of these great lyrics and
converted them in to a lasting instrumental performance...you can't help but
sing along........

"The very thought of you makes
My heart sing
Like an April breeze
On the wings of spring
And you appear in all your splendor
My one and only love"

     It starts with a beautiful Piano intro that really sets up Howard's
VERY vocal like Harmonica Melody, it sounds like he picked up his cappuccino
mug and plays into it for a 'fuller' sound effect...but the liner notes
report that he played Harmonica and simultaneously so I'm probably wrong
here about the mug!

    Fox takes over playing brilliantly on the Bridge and then the Piano
takes the Solo over the A-A sections.

    Howard picks up the Harmonica and blows an amazing solo over the next
time thru the bridge with one hand!! Both, Fox and Howard embellish the last
A section into a haunting and elegant ending chord.

    The title and final cut should now bring you (if you've sipped VERY
slowly) to the end of your beverage, this was a solo piece  Howard wrote on
Piano in the 80's when he was listening to Brazilian Pianist Cesar Camargo.
He recently wrote the Violin part obviously with Ms. Fehling in mind and
named it:."Cappuccino" ....It's a very uplifting bright tempo piece that is
a perfect 'closer' as we now lick the last remnants of foam from our lips
and get up and on with our
lives,-)))

thanx Fox, Howard for a REAL sweet coffee break....bravo.