Re: [Harp-L] a question for all you toungue blockers out there...

Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote
on Wed, 6 Apr 2005 02:39:11 EDT:

> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] a question for all you toungue blockers out there...
>

> In a message dated 4/5/05 4:18:31 PM, backbender1@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> > I also TB my overblows and overdraws, though I
> > don't use overdraws much
> >
>    There are some talented players out there who can tongue-block with tone
> through a cement block, and Dennis is one of them. Anyone who tongue-blocks
> overblows is eons ahead of the curve. So, if you are one of those
> (yeah, me) who
> can tongue-block reasonably well, but can't yet do this, please don't get
> discouraged. You just have to decide if the amount of practice it
> will take is
> worth it for what you are trying to do.

Hey guys

I think it's misleading to be talking about outrageously talented
people like Levy, Filisko, Ricci, etc. I'm a terrible harp player,
probably the worst on the list :-)
I started off tongue-block instead of pucker because for some
reason it felt easier that first day I bought a harp. I play
everything TB: bends, overbends, etc. There's no magic, just
practice. If I can play it TB, I swear everyone can.
And FWIW it took me a week of trying to get my first 6OB down,
and that's TB.

One thing I will say about learning OBs. I recommend doing *whatever*
it takes to squeak out the OB. Pucker, TB, standing on your head, etc.
You have to *feel* the resonance you need for the OB, once you have
that you can work on the embouchure.

Cheers
Ric