Fw: [Harp-L] ya wanna know why?

Tommy,

    I like all those players you mentioned, Little Walter set the benchmark for "Classic" Chicago Harp....GH Smith was a tremendous talent and innovator as well as Walter Horton and I do not diminish any of their masterful style.....but IMO, after Little Walter, the "bad ass" chain goes directly to Junior Wells then to Paul Buterfield because they "chose" not to "copy" but "Create" a style like Little Walter did, taking from Jazz  Horn players and not "bound" by any "Classic" or Traditional licks...
They were thinking 'outside' that 'cheesy' Marine Band cardboard box (with the TB instructions inside,-)

After all during Walters time , there was "nothing" classic or traditional about was he was doing on his axe....he was blazing new ground..

so I'll say it again.........different strokes. I have the utmost respect for Kim Wilson, Portnoy, Estrin, Piazza, Dave Barrett etc..etc   there committment to the 'classic sound' has inspired many a good harp player (including me) and it is crucial to keep this style alive.....but when we listen to diatonic players like Filisko, Gruenling, Del Junco, Ricci, Musselwhite, Magic Dick, Lee Oskar, Levy, Hunter, Singer, Michalek, Brooks, Buffalo, McCoy, Popper, Al Wilson and BUTTERFIELD...we see a forward direction in a good & creative musical way...and for ME, that defines 'BAD ASS'.....

tongue on with an open ear my friend,-)
best,rob