[Harp-L] Low keyed harps

G. wrote ; You may want to check out Sonny Boy Williamson's "U.K. Blues" with Yardbirds and the Animals.  Eight of the 20 tracks are on Low C or Low D harmonica.

 I had the chance, in the early sixties, to see Sonny Boy Williamson at the Flamingo Club on Wardour Street, London. He was playing the European 12 hole "Echo Vamper" (1824/24), Low C's,  Low D's etc.

Up until 1975 they were made in all twelve major keys, the lowest being C, the highest B. I am still in possession of a complete set plus about  40 "cannibalised" spares.

Here's the problem: No more spare equivalent pitch reeds available.

 So I checked on the "Online Harmonicist Bible", downloaded the latest Altered States from Pat Missin, dialled up Diatonic Reed Plates (Slot Lengths in mm.) and lent back for a quiet evenings read. Was I in for a surprise.

I found the dimensions that I most needed - Hohner 12/ 14 hole long & short plates.

 Wait a minute, I know that the 12 hole Marine Band 364/24 exist in Low C (long plates) & Normal G (short plates), so what are the slot sizes for all the other keys ?

 Hmm, run a quick check on Harp-l archives <Slots>, straight away, I'm wisely informed that there is a cut off point between high & low keys for all Hohner models

e.g. Special 20 - M B's - Golden's etc. G to C = long plates. Db to F# = short plates.Therefore,   M B 364 - Echo Vamper ; C to F# long plates, G to B = short plates.

 According to my calculations, a 6 blow reed on my C harp (Sounds G) has the same length & width as a 4 draw reed on my B harp (Sounds C#)

WOW! Seven semitones inclusive!!!

 Now I can tune a reed up a semitone with no problem and, without resorting to superglue type solutions, down a tone but a tri-tone? Something strange is going on.

 Boy am I thick!   You guessed it!     How Thick Is Thy Reed!         Or is it?

 The only thing left for me to do now is to find the equivalent reeds on other models, so deeper I dig in Pat's missive only to discover the crock of gold! ! Yes, low and behold the same slots as my Echo Vamper can be found on

HOHNER AUTO-VALVE-HARP,  MARINE BAND FULL CONCERT and XB-40  !

 Does anyone know where I can buy these reeds?

  Thanks in advance

Mox

http://mapage.noos.fr/country-blues