RE: [Harp-L] Hello and Introduction

I'd hate to start a fight with Chris ;-) but you should go for Special 20s.

What are the differences?

Well, they're both diatonic 10-hole harps, but the GM is tuned to equal temperament whereas the SP20 is tuned to an intermediate tuning somewhere between equal and Just intonation. You can get the SP20 in low keys such as low D, very useful for Irish. They are different shapes, which is no big deal really, just a matter of taste. SP20s are lovely and comfortable to play. Overblowers may have opinions about the two harps that I'm not qualified to wade in on.

As you're a total neophyte I should try to grab you for Irish music before these voracious blues guys get their hands on you.

Irish music? Would it impress you if you learned I toured with The Chieftains throughout Ontario, Canada some years back? I have stories.

That is indeed impressive. Would that be the present-day line-up but with the late and much-lamented Derek Bell?

As much as I like the Blues, I am less interested in that genre than others. I would need an all-purpose harmonica in a key that would/could play most anything.

I always cart a selection of different-keyed diatonic harps around with me. The dyed-in-the-wool chromatic guys may have an opinion about that...

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm