RE: [Harp-L] Hello and Introduction

At 07:37 PM 11/04/2005, Steve Shaw wrote:

Well, they're both diatonic 10-hole harps, but the GM is tuned to equal temperament whereas the SP20 is tuned to an intermediate tuning somewhere between equal and Just intonation. You can get the SP20 in low keys such as low D, very useful for Irish. They are different shapes, which is no big deal really, just a matter of taste. SP20s are lovely and comfortable to play. Overblowers may have opinions about the two harps that I'm not qualified to wade in on.

Please explain the terms "equal" and "Just intonation" and "overblowing."

Boy do I feel lost.

That is indeed impressive. Would that be the present-day line-up but with the late and much-lamented Derek Bell?

It would be Old School Chieftains and my favourite story concerns Mr. Bell. As you must know, Derek was a relatively small man, who lugged a relatively large [stringed] harp. When the harp was in its carrying case, it was that much larger and that much more unwieldy. The first day of the tour, as Derek is struggling to get his harp onto the bus, I leaned down and grabbed the other end of the harp to give him a hand. He VERY politely asked me to put the end back down and then declined all help. It was his contention that if anything bad were to happen to the harp, he would be the only one to blame if he were the only one to touch the harp. He never allowed anyone else to move his harp, put it in its carrying case, or help him cart it from one place to another. My enduring memory is of Derek struggling to carry his harp, all by himself, every where we went.

I always cart a selection of different-keyed diatonic harps around with me.

Knowing my potential obsessiveness, I can imagine myself collecting one harmonica after another until I have to get myself a John Popper Vest (TM pending).

The dyed-in-the-wool chromatic guys may have an opinion about that...

I am beginning to think that getting opinions will not be a problem for me. My problem will be deciding who seems more right.

Thanks for your help.