Re: RE: [Harp-L] overblow-tongueblock combination

Chris Michalek wrote:
> TB is simply another technique for executing notes and
> neither is superior. There really is no advice other
> than keep practicing.  If you can play what you want
> using one method over the other than why change? I can
> do TB overblow on most harps but I can't play the way
> I normally play so there is no point for me unlesss
> I want to hit some weird double stop.

The gospel according to Filisko (from Masterclass TBII):

Advantages for using puckering:
1. Instant gratification
2. Greater ease in obtaining tongueing or trumpeting effects
3. Greater accuracy in bending initially (?)
4. Less friction or drag when moving around the harp

Advantages for using blocking:
1. Octaves and split intervals
2. Effects - flutters (on & off) and trills (side to side)
3. Side switching - double embouchure (two mouths)
4. Better TECHNIQUE TONE by default - pulls and slaps are easier to
execute
5. Better HEAD TONE by default - tongue is positioned better (lower
in back)
6. Better HAND TONE by default - harp is deeper in mouth (easier to
position hands)
7. Tongue becomes like a finger helping to better line up with the
holes

Mind you, this is Joe's list, not mine, but having experienced him
demonstrating advanced tongue blocking techniques I have a whole new
area of professional development ahead.

-tim (el contrarionista)