Re: [Harp-L] Following Chord Changes

Hi Michael,

--- Michael Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to start following chord changes when I
> play blues music starting in 2nd position on the
> I.  I know the blues scales in 3rd and 1st with
> overblows (not the 1 hole overblow though).

Great! You're in a wonderful position to start
exploring the chord changes more fully in a blues
context. The idea here being that when playing
blues in 2nd position, the I chord lays with 2nd
position, the IV chord lays with 1st position and
the V chord lays with 3rd position. Playing
overbends in this context is not a prerequisite,
but can come in handy for more melodic lines.

> What's the next step?  I can follow a
> progression, but I have a hard time improvising
> in 3rd major and 1st. What should be my mind
> set?

For me the "mind set" as you put it, is to simply
think in the associated position of each chord (at
least at first). I got started developing this
thought pattern at first by starting my licks on
the root of the associated chord/position.

In otherwords when the song moves to the IV chord
I'd try to move to the 1, 4, 7 or 10 blow to kick
off or finish a lick. Getting yourself to "land" on
that root note is a nice touch too. Once I got a
habit of just knowing that those root notes were a
goal or endpoint, I soon found licks that fit
nicely.

> Is it too academic to play each change from each
> scale, or it would be better to just emphasize
> the notes in the 3rd and 1st scales when I hit
> the chord changes?

Playing scales is a nice way to start, but
ultimately is a dead end in a musical context. A
scale related exercise is to play licks based on
those scales... snippets, if you will.

> I have thought about trying to play along to harp
> songs in 2nd position in either third or first
> and trying to follow along.  Is that a descent
> idea?

Playing along with songs using 1st, 2nd or 3rd
positions is a great excercise. If you have a jam
tape, then play along each song first using 2nd,
then 1st then 3rd position. You'll find new
licks... it's inevitable.

> I think my biggest struggle isn't so much
> following the chords as it is improvising in the
> different positions for only a few bars.

Keep at it. VERY well worth the effort. As you get
better in each position, you'll see where to use
them as you follow chord changes.

Best of luck!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.