[Harp-L] Re: Trouble with Timing

When my son was taking bass lessons from Carol Kaye (legendary studio bassist), I was privileged
to observe many of her lessons.   I can't even begin to describe how much emphasis she put on
metronome drills.   She's been involved in dozens of Top 10 hit records and as far as she's
concerned it's TIMING that makes the "hook" and its subtle, almost imperceptible, nuances of
timing that make the difference between a hit record and a flop.

She has many different types of metronome exercises, most of them do NOT involve setting the
metronome to hit on quarter-notes.  Listening to her play against a metronome is like listening to
a magician, because when she hits the groove - and I know this is going to sound weird - but the
metronome itself starts to swing!  I know it must be some kind of an aural illusion, but it sure
sounds real when its happening.