Re: [Harp-L] NEED ADVICE!

Hi,
  Cut your friend some slack, sounds like he's happy being a hobby player and
knows that gigging will !%*&-up his REAL job, gotta pay the bills...and
playing in a blues band ain't gonna cut it , that's for sure...$50.00 a night, no
sleep, and a bunch of drunks screaming Whammer Jammer is easy to pass on, can't
blame him there...Your best friend just lost one of the most important people
in his life, and it sounds like he's still grieving...and you say you're the
miserable one because you want to play..think about it....join the J. Giels
tribute thing and experience all the fun and respect you gain as a harp player,
you deserve every bit of it bro, good luck...Hey, can you play Whammer Jammer
!

              Mike in Buffalo, NY.
Hi,

I'm lookin for some advice on how to handle a tricky situation.
I've been tryin to get a band off the ground for about 2 years and were so
close I can taste it. Here's the problem this is a project me and my best friend
have been trying to do for a long time. He ( lead guitar) is the one who
provides the home studio which is excellent and the recording and all other
equipment and venue for us to get together once a week to rehearse. He is a business
owner and has plenty of money so he has and until recently hired musicians to
put this thing together( I of course play for free cause I just wanna jam) We
were struggling for a while cause we did not have a good lead singer.Well In
December 2004 we found a girl singer whom is fabulous we rehearsed with her
for a couple of months. well shortly thereafter my buddys father passed away
forcing him and us to take a long hiatus due to the fact that he would now have
to take over the family business  with his brother and did not have the time to
play. so we took about  8 months off Whew!   We start
ed again a couple of months ago but haven't been able to get on a roll cause
something always comes up with his business that won't allow him to play. The
thing is that he is my best friend and i certainly understand what he is going
through and know that deep down in his heart he wants to play it just seems
he can't pull it off with all the other responsibilities he has. I certainly
appreciate everything he has done over the years for us to be able to jam by
funding and providing money equipment and venue for us to enjoy our hobby, but
Here's my problem I  really want to play I'm not gettin any younger and I have a
strong desire to get out and play but it seems just as we're almost ready
something happens to derail us again. Well  We were supposed to rehearse again
last night and i got a call from him saying something happened and he was gonna
have to put the project on hold again for a while. I Am truly disappointed! We
had about thirty songs just about ready and a kiss ass
singer only to go back to the waiting game again. How can  I tell him that if
we aren't gonna play for a while that I am getting the urge to look for
another situation without hurting his feelings. I  may have an opportunity to play
with a J.Geils tribute band and really love all that old Magic Dick stuff so I
don't know what to do. I don't want to bail on him but on the other hand If
I'm not playing I'm Miserable. I don't know what to do. Is it wrong for me to
feel this way?
What advice can you fellow harpers give me on how I should handle this?
?

Still in NJ singing the band is on hiatus again Blues

Chuck