Re: [Harp-L] Re: Trouble with timing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Leonard" <janrick7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 5:50 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Trouble with timing

I'll jump in on this thread before it dies. My main gig is playing bass so my timing has to be there. Here''s what I do. I'll get out a book of written bass lines, usually jazz, set the metronome to click on quarter notes. When I get familiar with the line I'll set the metronome to click on 2 and 4 and play it. It seems to give a natural swing to the music. It's a big help for my timing and feel.
Rick

Hi Rick,
That's an excellent suggestion and I first heard of it from a drummer I often work with who did that very same thing in order for him to learn how to play behind the beat, which is the way blues and most African American music is played as a general rule. BTW, for most popular musics, the 2 and the 4 is usually where the snare drum hits in a band.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com