Re: [Harp-L] Cover Songs

At 10:30 AM 15/04/2005, Chris Michalek wrote:

Cheesy because they are part of American Pop culture.

Oh goodie. My first disagreement here.

American pop culture does not translate to cheesy and cheesy does not translate to American Pop Culture (tm). George Gershwin, Bruce Springsteen, and The Ramones (just to name 3 examples) do not deliver the cheese and yet they are quintessential American Pop Culture (tm). Conversely, Aqua, Nena and Freddie and the Dreamers are little but fromage, yet they are not American Pop Cultural artifacts.

Cheese is a quality that transcends borders, cultures and genres. In other words: The cheese stands alone!!!

What defines cheese is the unmistakable whiff of kitsch, camp, or irony --- or all three at once. That's why all those tee vee theme songs are automatically cheese. When it comes to oldies (defined for this discussion as anything from yesterday right back to the beginning of time), it becomes much harder to determine what is cheese and what is a classic.

Cheese is in the eye of the beholder.

How many instrumentalists cover Michael Jackson tunes? Some would say where
the soul in that?  We do it because it's a hot topic right now. Last
night we played Billie Jean into Messing with the Kid.  Only a couple
of people got the joke but we thought it was funny.

Michael Jackson is a perfect example of the Fromage Factor. Some might argue that he's cheese right now because of his legal woes. Some might argue he's always been cheese. Some might argue that none of that matters; quality is quality and music transcends the news page.

The following URLs may, or may not, be on topic, but all are cheesy.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5597.html

http://www.netherworldnews.com/food0507.html

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_197183329.html

http://www.livejournal.com/community/cheese_party/