[Harp-L] Chris Michalek's trio

The last time that I went to hear Chris Michalek play, it was with his "Blue Energy" blues band. Last night I went to hear him play with his harp, bass, and drums "where's your guitar man?" trio. Well, they don't need no guitar with Christopher Strone on the bass. I have a new respect for what a bass man can do! But this is Harp-L, so though Christopher is worthy of heaps of praise, I won't gush. Chris, as good as his blues is, and it's good, does a good thing in not putting himself into a genre box. Yes, he is a jazz man, but he's more than that.

They played all sorts of music and wove a mosaic of genre switched music that was a real joy to listen to. Songs morphed into "how did that get in there?, but I like it!" moments as what might be a trademark for the trio. I used the word songs, many think that that implies a singer. They have no more need of a singer than for a guitar. Chris doesn't do Salty Holmes, but his melodies have voice, if you get my drift. They did the Billie Jean/Messing with the Kid thing, and ended with Purple Haze. I was there for the whole gig so there was too much to remember. I tried to "listen intelligently" but got caught up in the flow, became mesmerized, and just experienced the music. If you get a chance to hear them live, do it. It's a pleasure.

I am not a music critic, I'm just some guy who is old enough to have listened to a bunch of music, and who is eclectic enough in my view of the world to appreciate something different. Just my 30 cents, I can't always bend to within 2 cents :0)

Ohh, I got a surprise when they did Monk Alters Chi. I assumed that they used a dijerido for that on the CD, Chris does it with just his voice.

Peace and music,
Dave