Re: [Harp-L] 3rd Position Songs

hi,

no blues but - bottom octave tb - "hawaii five o"

i'ts a great little workout to hit 'em hard and dead on - still not
quite there myself...

is nirvana's "heart shaped box" in 3rd too (?)

also does "It Hurts me too" work out in 4th position E on C harp or am
i stuffing something up?"

got onto it trying to jam to a hounddog taylor cd - but the guitar tab
i seen from clapton's version looks straight 2nd position...

crowley

>>> samblancato <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx> 04/18/05 08:58am >>>
Hey Folks,

For any of you folks that are starting to experiment with 3rd
Position in blues harp I have these two song suggestions for you to
give a listen. They are "You Put the Hurt on Me" On Kim Wilson's
Lookin' For Touble and "I Got To GO" on Rod Piazza's Modern Master
(Disk 1). "You Put the Hurt on Me" is in B flat (A flat harp) and "I
Got To GO" is in A (G harp).

These two songs are great in that they both use almost all of the
harp from low to high. They're also great because they're easy to
learn and they give you a real taste for what the Dorian mode can to
in a blues context. I've just been getting into 3rd position in
earnest these last 2 months and working on these two great songs has
really opened up the 3rd position possibilities for me so I'm
figuring they might for others too. They've both got great solos
with great hooks that really make you forget 2nd position to where
you almost want to play 3rd all the time (at least that's what I got
out of them).

So now I'm wondering if anybody else can suggest a 3rd position
blues song (or songs) that showed them how it's done and established
their comfort in this mode. Well?

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh