Re: [Harp-L] Gregoire Maret

On Apr 17, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Metheny but there wer some cool poly rhythms.
ie 6/8 over 4/4.
As far as Gregoire Maret is concerned, I his playing on that album
lacked personality. But the french has said the same about me so what
do I know ;-p

Haven't heard the Metheny stuff yet, but if it's any thing like the Dapp Theory stuff, I have a theory that it won't go over for any but the 'fringe' element. It's modern jazz, rambles and has no core. I'm pretty sure Metheny is a little more conservative. I like Maret (as a player) but as I said on another list, there are 4 (basic) kinds of music, To wit:

1...fairly poor players with poor material
2...fairly poor players with good material   (MY choice between 2 & 3)
3...good players with poor material
4...good players with good material

I felt Maret fit into category 3 (not of his own choosing, you understand). I had written about this problem 4 1/2 years ago. It's an admirable thing to keep yourself pure, not sell out to the establishment, and do the stuff YOU want to do. It's quite another thing to try to eat the recordings that you can't sell. I have heard many (spelled with 2 manyies) great super great players who persist in doing trype. May be good for their soul, but I think it's a mistake.
smo-joe