Re: [Harp-L] G. Maret.....

On Apr 17, 2005, at 9:21 PM, Tom Ellis wrote:

Those who missed his show at the Dallas/SPAH convention missed a remarkable performance--his playing was spot on, and the setting, with a great rhythm section and pianist, provided him ample room to improvise with controlled abandon.

Yeah. I thought the kid was GREAT, but a little bland?

At the time, Dapp Theory was high on his list, and he strongly recommended it to me. I love it.

That's the nice thing...you're allowed. The piano player is great too.

I also love the ensemble playing on the Charlie Hunter CD, and his beautiful work with Little Jimmy Scott.

I'll have to give them a listen. I like to keep an open mind.

In my opinion, there are only a few chromatic players who can improvise at his level--Mike Turk comes to mind immediately--but in a way Gregoire is heading off in another direction, integrating the chromatic into new voicings in jazz.

I agree on THAT, some of his note choices are definitely 'Avant-Garde'

I would really like to hear him cut across the musical boundaries with Cassandra Wilson.

Me too. We have a girl down here (Lisa Kelly) who is actually MORE fitting as a co-conspirator.

And as for Michalek's comment he "doesn't play with personality"--hogwash.

In all fairness, I felt the same as Chris (on THESE sides that I heard). I think he HAD to hold back under the circumstances and is only there for flavor. And, while I think he is a GREAT player, he needs to 'fire-up' a little more. When I heard him in Dallas, I felt he was (surprisingly) "Schmaltzy" for a French player. As for age, Yes, he is WAY ahead of schedule. I feel he will be a force to be reconed with (and very SOON).

smo-joe

For a guy to play at this level, with the calibre of musicians he plays with, and only be in his late twenties says plenty about his mastery of creating his own, unique voice. TOM ELLIS/Tom's Mics