To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:36 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Lessons in Quebec/Rooty Advice/Bends

Greetings Harp-lers,

First time caller, long time listener.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada, where I haven't been able to find a teacher.
I've been woodshedding blues harmonica for about a year now (seriously) and
will be travelling off the island to Quebec City this summer. I'd like to try
to find some lessons while I'm there if possible. Any takers? I have enough
French to take a lesson in that language I think.

I can bend notes fairly well (still have trouble getting the full 1 step bend
on
two draw and the full 1 1/2 on 3), hit the 6 overblow, and am good enough to
play a tune like Juke, but without the killer tone (and I'm sure with plenty of
errors I'm not hearing properly). I haven't gigged with harmonica yet, but have
done an open mic or two, have gigged on guitar a little and played bass in a
blues band as a fill-in for a few months. I also have a few years of music
school (classical guitar) under my belt.

If there's anyone in the area (Montreal may be too far, but maybe) who gives
lessons, knows of any gigs to take in, or even would let me buy them a beer to
chat harmonica a little I'd be grateful. Also, if there is someone in the St.
John's, NL area I somehow missed, let me know.

Also, for Rooty, I second the recomendation for Gindick -- his rock and blues
harmonica book is great (although personally the cave person thing can be a bit
much sometimes, but i see why it's popular). I first learned the basics using
his older method about 5 years ago. I recomend also getting a decent
transcription guide as well and then building a blues record collection around
it. If you're into jamming soon, I'd also check out www.harmonicasessions.com
for free lessons on accompaniment -- they're pretty neat.

I apologize if this list is not a place to find teachers, but I couldn't find a
referal service. Also, thanks a lot for the years of advice I've gotten while
trying to learn. It's great that so many of the top players can help, debate,
etc. I don't know of another instrument with the kind of support group you guys
offer.

Thanks,

Thom

p.s. -- is there an obvious reason why I am always just sharp of those
"maximum"
bends on 2/3 draw??