[Harp-L] Grant Dermody

Dear Harp-L Members,

I'm writing in praise of a magnificent CD by Grant Dermody called "Crossing
That River."  I got turned on to this inspiring album (sorry, I still think in
those terms) by means of a simple query to Harp-L about tunes cut with low-key
harps, of which "River" contains four spectacular examples.  But the appeal
of Grant's harp-work, songwriting, singing, and instrumental collaborators goes
far beyond any single technique choice.  In particular, his harp-work is
incredibly soulful.  He has chops to kill for, but he knows how to put them in the
service of each particular song, a quality often missing from some of our
finer players.  In places, his muscular acoustic tone will remind you of Paul
Butterfield's work during his Better Days period; on other cuts--asuch as with
his duet with Joe Filisko, or on many of the country-blues pieces--you could
close your eyes and picture yourself in a Carolina roadhouse fifty years ago,
whooping along with some crack Piedmont bluesmen. In addition, he writes original
songs that cut to the quick, and sings them with total conviction, and in
addition to Joe Filisko, he's attracted a terrific cast of co-players.  I could
go on and on, but the best recommendation I can make for Grant Dermody is
simply that you give him a listen.  I feel that every player on this list would
find it a highly rewarding and inspiring experience.

Peace and Respect,
Johnny T

PS Grant has not (yet) offered me any kind of bribe.  He simply responded to
my low-key harp query, and the Harmonica Buddha took it from there.