Re: [Harp-L] Musical lines vs ???

Michael asked:
What exactly is a musical line? I have my thoughts on the subject, but is there an exact answer?

Putting it in context, I would say some artist try and find sequences of notes that are original, interesting and colorful given the surroundings. The choice of notes here is key and more important then the phrasing.

Sometimes I listen to something and I hear a line that sounds colorful and perfect and that stands out as refreshingly different all because of the juxtaposition of notes. I find this to be rare in blues, its not easy to do.

I see that sometimes in Little Walter's recording, he sometimes has colorful notes in a melodic kind of phrase. I believe its a big part of the reason he is so revered today.

Anyway, that's my take on it,

Pierre.