Re: [Harp-L] Phrasing

Martin,
   Lee Oskar's solo on that song is nothing short of Brilliant! Evenmore
impressive, him being so young and adept at "building" "Laying Back"
"telling a STORY" and then when the times is right, the story reaches it
climax and he goes for the jugglier!! This is the mark of a great Musician.
That's the key to great improv, develop your ears and level of dynamics by
getting "inside" the tune WITH your bandmates...then "ride the wave"....

Thanx to Martin for an excellent example!.....soloing should always tell a
story....keep your reader's interest users your writer's toolbox. (Martin, I
have to admit, I've referrred to THAT solo on "Mother Earth" on many
occasions,-)
best,
rob paparozzi

> Lee Oskars solo on "Mother Earth" (first Burdon/War album, 35 yrs ago now
...) could be mentioned as a paragon of elegant, repetitive and very simple
blues phrasing, well worth checking out.
>   He builds tension for some choruses, then steps up the intensity,
climaxes with a couple of  long, effective  6 D notes, and finally calms
down and comes back to his initial little riff. Tells the story and takes a
discreet bow, very elegant.
>   I´ve shamelessly borrowed from that solo more times than I care to think
of ... can´t promise i won´t do it again.