RE: [Harp-L] bass harp question

tom ball wrote:
> I have a bass harp question that I'm hoping someone can help with.
>
> About a month ago I ordered (through some friends who own a local
> store) a Huang #123 double octave bass.  (For those unfamiliar, It
> looks like the one shown here)
> http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/orchestral/huangbass.shtml
>
> Yes I could've ordered the 265 Hohner, but I like the idea of a
> plastic comb vs. wood.

Like me, you'd also like the significant savings compared to the 265!

> Anyhow, no wholesalers had one in stock; it's basically a special
> order.  And now I find out there is a serious delay from the factory
> -- another 4 months, I'm told.

Bummer!  In fact, i think Huang harmonicas are in a state of limbo because
Cha-Ber has retired and left the business to brother Frank.  I don't think
you can buy any Huang harp direct from the factory right now.  On second
thought, Tom Ball probably could get any harp he wants!  But the 4-month
wait seems excessive.

> One of the wholesalers said that Huang told them they can supply a
> "Victory" octave bass...  according to the wholesaler (who admittedly
> was not very well versed on the subject,) the Victory is the same
> model as the 123 except marketed for overseas sale, at a lower price.
>
> I've just spent an hour on the net trying to research a Victory
> octave bass, but have struck out.  My gut feeling is that the
> wholesaler is mixed up, and I'm very reluctant to order an expensive
> harp that may turn out to be either a single-reed baritone, a
> diatonic bass, or a poorly made substitute for a 123.

Tom, your wholesaler is right about the Victory.  I have one in near-new
condition that I snagged off eBay for $50.

> Anybody know anything about a Victory bass?  Is it really the same as
> a 123?  Should I just chill and wait 4 months?  Or should I think
> about a wood-comb Hohner 265?  I dislike wood combs, but Huang Inc no
> longer even has a website, so I'm sort-of wondering about their
> situation...

Not having experience with the Hohner I can't make any direct comparison.
But that might be a good thing, as I'll relate below.

I can tell you that the Victory is a "double" octave bass with construction
that is very similar to the Hohner in that it has two 15-hole, 2-octave
harmonica bodies connected by a hinge.  The major difference in construction
I see is that the Hohner (and the Suzuki) has the top row of holes offset
from those along the bottom, whereas the Victory's upper holes are directly
below the lower ones.  It has a plastic comb with a plastic mouthpiece that
is glued to the comb.  It's huge (about 8 1/2 inches long and 3 inches
tall), and it's heavy (over 3 lbs).  It's very different to play because the
low reeds require a different attack to get them sounding.  It's also a gas
to play!

And in a second post, Tom adds:
> that verifies my skepticism about the Victory bass.  Evidently not a
> high quality instrument compared to the Huang, Suzuki or Hohner
> octave basses.  I shall pass.

Your decision, but I'm sure glad I got my Victory Double Bass.  Like I said,
it's a gas to play.  I could never afford a Hohner double bass, nor like
you, would I want a wood-combed bass.  AFAIK, the Huang and the Victory are
made in the same Chinese factory from the same components.  Mine is a very
solid, well-built instrument.  It needed some reed adustments to suit my
play, but so do all other off-the-shelf harmonicas.  The fit and finish
leave a bit desired but it's nothing a little emory paper won't fix (mostly
sharp edges here and there).

> I'm still in a quandary though... ordinarily I would always go
> Hohner, but I'm just not comfortable with a wood comb for an octave
> bass.  And Huang has a four-month wait.
>
> An overseas friend recommended a Suzuki DB-29.  Rather expensive, but
> it sure looks like it'd be nice!  Anybody have any experience with it?

I bet the Suzuki is a gem given the quality I've seen in their other
harmonicas.  It also has a greater range than the Hohner 265 or Victory
basses.  I don't think the Suzuki's welded reeds would be a problem with a
bass harp, as bass reeds are very beefy.

Please let us know what you decide and how you do with whatever bass harp
you end up with.  Also, having a few ideas of my own, I'm very curious what
you intend to do with it (if'n you don't mind my asking).  8^)

Michelle