Re: [Harp-L] [OT] Review of the John Butler Trio's Sunrise over Sea

ben, I owe you many beers  - that would be black (hunter old  for the
assistance harmonica planet gave me...)

but you are are unwittingly giving this aussie band (sans harmonica
even!!!)a major rap over more deserving  workers....

in short....... last week your  reviews were credible... to us knocking
back schooners by the hunter  river at hexham...

this week... you live in france.... :)

mr michalek, yu have nothing to worry about...

crowley

Please do not hesitate to reply should you require further information
or assistance.

regards,
mark

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Mark Crowley
Administrative Officer
Faculty of Engineering & Built Environment
EF101
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN 2308 NSW
Phone 02 49216068
Fax 021 49217062
email : mark.crowley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>>> Planet Harmonica <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/24/05 8:26 AM >>>
Since it's often quiet here at the weekends I figured you wouldn't
begrudge me mentioning that I have posted a review of the John Butler
Trio's Sunrise over Sea on my weblog at http://harmonica.typepad.com.
Although this record features no harmonica whatsoever, it's one of my
best recent discoveries, and I wanted to share the love. Plus it's good
to listen to non-harp stuff once in a while ;)

Anyway, here's the beginning of that review :

"I think I'm a sucker for nice black and white photos of acoustic string
instrument. In fact, strike that: I know that I am. The other day, I was
browsing through the pop/rock section of one of the record stores near
work (the pop/rock section being where they keep Dr John, that gives you
a good idea of the state of the industry...)

Anyway, I stumbled upon a listening post with the John Butler Trio's
Sunrise Over Sea. On the front cover, John Butler in the studio sitting
on a stool with his acoustic guitar and a rack of pedals, a banjo leaned
against the wall next to him. On the back cover, a panoramic view of the
studio, Butler on the left, the drummer in the center and the
double-bassist on the right hand side.

I only vaguely remembered having heard a John Butler Trio track from one
of the Bonnaroo CDs, and not being overly impressed. I listened to the
first minute or so of the first track and I walked to the counter with a
copy of the album. I think it was the double-bass on the back cover that
did it. Man am I happy to go on impulse sometimes! Sunrise over Sea has
not left the inside of my CD player ever since."

Ben FELTEN
http://harmonica.typepad.com