[Harp-L] Shakin' Steve and contemporary blues harp

I just listened to all the clips available on Steve's sight, after having read all the posts about him and reading all the available info on his site.

I enjoyed his tone and his phrasing (minus the intro of the first song)...however I didn't feel he was doing anything new with blues harp.  Mind you, I haven't heard his whole cd nor have I seen him live.  I would like to check him out, but I don't think he would give me the same punch in the gut feeling I get when I hear Ricci, de Lay, Gruenling, or Del Junco.  I would probably like him, but not necessarily be inspired.

Contemporary blues harp seems to be nearing a crossroads similar to the one guitar crossed a couple decades ago.  Players are now adding more technical points to their playing, and there is a greater flash factor, whether it come from arrangements, overblows, speed, whatever.  I like where the new guys are going...so much that I am drifting there as much as I can too.  Blues is a very diverse music...even if you are staunt traditionalist.

Art is art, choose your own path.

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals
http://www.niterail.com