[Harp-L] April Jam Camp

Howdy Harpers,

I have just returned from Jon Gindicks? Jam Camp in St. Louis. Well, okay, actually I?m typing this on the car ride home. I just couldn?t wait to start expressing my appreciation to Jon and all of the other coaches there for the phenomenal weekend that I was able to be part of. The coaches of the camp were Jon Gindick, Dennis Gruenling, John Costa, and Adam Gussow. And of course the ever lovely Mark Wilson graced us with his coordinating abilities.
There are many things that I could say about this weekend, but the first and foremost is that it was one of the greatest weekends of my life. Going into the weekend I kind of thought that the $450 that it cost was a bit much, but in all honesty, I would have paid twice that. The opportunity to meet and listen to some of the greatest harpers in the world was invaluable, on top of meeting other people in the same proverbial boat as I am in skill wise. The teaching skills of Jon ands Adam literally blew me away (or was that the wattage coming from the Biscuit?s amps?) Either way, simply incredible. I didn?t have a chance to work with John or Dennis, however I did talk to Dennis individually for about three minutes, and in that time he managed to teach me more about musical theory then I have been able to pick up in my entire life. I also talked to John for a few minutes, and even though I never had the opportunity to work with him, he gave me his email address and told me he would love to hear from me. These people?s dedication to the harmonica and spreading the skill and joy of harping is simply incredible.
Today?s (Sunday?s) all out jam was just icing on the cake. Hearing my fellow harper?s blow (oops, I mean exhale) their hearts and souls into their harps was just awesome. To be honest, I was nervous as heck going up there. There were so many good players! But with Mark?s gentle shoves (which he probably won?t admit to giving) and hearing some other people closer to my skill level play in front of everyone gave me the confidence to get up there myself. In the end, I couldn?t believe how good I sounded. And I can?t even draw the 2 on a C harp yet! Thank god for D harps. ;-)
So what?s the moral of my long winded story? Go to Jam Camp! You definitely won?t regret it, no matter what skill level you?re at. I know I for one will be going to another one in the future.

Happy harping,
Dan Kuhle
Dubuque, Iowa