Re: [Harp-L] Re: Shakin Smith

Chris Michalek wrote:

Clearly, Shakin changed keys but the band didn't follow. However,
it's painful obvious that it's shakin that didn't follow because the
entire band stayed on the I when shakin went to the IV. This sounds
terrible and shows a general lack of musicianship.

Didn't that notoriously bad musician Walter Jacobs do something similar in that dreadfully executed song, "Juke"? ;-)

Sure, he's got great tone and plays with feeling but he certainly is

The guy's a BLUES harp player. Tone, feeling, and a whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't get taught at the We're-Smart-And-You're-Dumb School of music matter a great deal. Indeed, failing to recognize such basic concepts shows ignorance of the form.

As we both agree, everything needs to be done within a musical
context and to play "outside" is generally ok in Jazz, it's is NOT ok
in traditional harmonica blues is largely out of musical context.

What does this mean? Sounds like freshman music-school-speak. There is no inside or outside, there's you, the audience, and the music. Bill yourself as a blues act and you've got an obligation to retain SOME contact with blues forms and conventions. However, the forms and conventions are a means of expressing yourself within in particular mode. They're not rules to be slavishly followed or mindlessly bashed out of a need to carve a niche for yourself. Follow either of those paths and you doom your music.

Along with technical facility the most important thing anyone in the arts needs to do is keep his mind open. In one school of Zen, this is called "Don't know mind." Approach the music this way and everything is possible. Be like Squidward (sorry guys, I've got small kids), and you'll spend your entire life pissed off at the world. :-)

Bob