[Harp-L] Re: Magic Dicks fender red knob twin

Chuck wrote:
"I'm gonna be trying out for a J.Geils Tribute band ... I presently play through a 59 Bassman Ri Tweaked by Sonny JR. I know Magic plays through a red Knob Fender twin. My buddy has one of these amps and I may be able to borrow it with the option to buy it."

For what it's worth, I definitely wouldn't go buying that amp unless you really want another large amp or are getting a tremendous price on it (i.e. as sort of an investment). First of all, Dick played concerts and recorded albums with the J. Geils band with all sorts of gear. In Kim Fields' book, Dick even said he liked recording with a Champ so clearly that's the amp you're hearing on at least some of their studio stuff. And you've already seen the other posts where he's reported to have used various mics (SM57 for instance). Chasing down Magic Dick's tone by chasing down the gear he used is going to be futile (and expensive). You already have a great amp in that Sonny Jr.-modded Bassman RI. If you're going to really play the Magic Dick part, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a nice echo/delay pedal and a few pairs of leather pants. ;-)
MN