[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 20, Issue 88

One2one2three@xxxxxxx wrote:

"As far as Richard Hunter blasting Shake, Shake respects players that
deserve respect (he always spoke highly of Robert Bonfiglio ...) For
Richard Hunter to compare him to a crack addict or alcoholic for that
supposed "Public email Shake sent, I also know for a fact, that email
never went "public " it was private...and stayed that way..."

RH: Read your friend Shake's email again, pal.  Practically nothing in
it is addressed to me directly. Your friend Shake certainly thought
someone besides me was going to read it.  If he wanted it to be personal
and confidential, he should've marked it personal and confidential.  If
he wants to avoid people knowing how he thinks, he shouldn't email
vicious personal insults to strangers.  I'm under no obligation, moral
or otherwise, to keep that message to myself.  And if anybody ought to
feel shame about it, it's the guy who sent it.

One2one2three@xxxxxxx also wrote:
"so Richard, you're just blowing hot air...and IF
you have a girl or boyfriend, they must be carrying your balls around in
their purse...but I was offened by  your ugly, self serving attack,as
anyone who really knew Shake would be...Richard Hunter, you are truly in
self-denial, and you know it...I got some cheese to go with your
whine...get your S--t straight, and put your pipe down...you are one
paranoid person...I was going to forward your B.S. along to Shake, as he
is not a list member and dosen't read this banter, but I changed my
mind...
  To the harp playing public, please don't rely on Richard Hunter's
reviews alone...I did a web search for reviews on Shake's Wizard of the
Harmonica C.D, and found 6 glowing reviews right away...thats 6 more
than I could find for Hunter... God Bless You Dick Hunter, I hope you
get the help you need..."

RH: Well, One2one2three@xxxxxxx, I can see why you and your friend Shake
get along so well; you've both got very similar styles and attitudes.
You're a little fearful too, aren't you?  You didn't mention your own
balls, but you didn't sign your name to your valentine, I see.  I'll
leave it to the rest of the list members to figure out who's blowing hot
air. Of course, my "ugly, self-serving attack" consists mostly of direct
quotes from Mr. Smith.  I agree that it's ugly.

I'm going to repeat something very important, especially for the
musicians on this list who are just starting out on their own careers:
anyone who can't tolerate the slightest bit of criticism will never make
it in the music business, no matter how much talent they've got.  Any
musician who starts slinging these sorts of gutter insults at every
reviewer who doesn't call him a genius will almost certainly end up
fighting amateurs in Buffalo for gigs that pay $15-$25 per man.  (In my
review, I made the mistake of only calling Smith a "wizard" with a "big,
beautiful tone.") Believe me when I say there's a direct connection
between your behavior and your success.  If you can't handle criticism,
you'll never be able to handle success.

Too bad.  As my original review made clear, Shakin' Smith has talent.
Unfortunately, it takes more than talent to succeed in the music
business, or any other business.  Artistic success is only the first
step to a real career in music.  If you make a point of acting like you
belong in the gutter, that's where you end up playing, sooner or later.
Believe it.

And anyone who thinks me, or any other reviewer -- even the cruel ones
-- is responsible for Smith spending his career fighting amateurs for
crummy gigs in stinking bars in Buffalo just doesn't think.  According
to his friend One2, Smith was in that hole long before I ever heard his
name or wrote my very positive review of his CD.  Did some reviewer put
him there?  Get real.  Find someone to blame who might have had
something to do with it. Whoever taught you guys to go out of control
when you read a review is a good candidate for a start.

If anyone wants to send me more messages like the one above, my email
address can be found at my website.  My real name has never been a
secret. If you want me to reply, or even to read it, have the guts to
use yours.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com