Re: [Harp-L] bass harp question

tom ball replied:

Michelle wrote (about the Victory bass)
I have one in near-new condition that I snagged off eBay for $50.
_______

Fifty bucks?  Wow, that's the deal of the century for any double bass
harp, Michelle, well done!  I gotta start paying more attention to
eBay...

~I'm~ never that lucky! Actually a friend spotted and won it for me and then I paid the seller. I'd embarrass him if I mentioned his name... But thanks again, Bill! ;^)

And yes, eBay is a cool thing.

_______

Please let us know what you decide and how you do with whatever bass harp
you end up with.

_______

After swapping many Email's with bassists and harp-techs from around
the globe, it turns out I'm buying a restored pre-war Hohner 265
(G-to-G) from Dick Gardner.

I knew you'd have lots of resources at your disposal. Sounds like you got a terrific harp! It's wood though... ;)

_______

Also, having a few ideas of my own, I'm very curious what
you intend to do with it (if'n you don't mind my asking). 8^)

_______

Well, first I have to learn to play the beast!  I have zero
experience on one.  I've not as yet taken possession of it, so
perhaps I'm being naive in assuming I can even learn it (?)  We'll
see.  It'll be tons o' fun trying.

Basses are definitely different beasts. I used to play the tuba in school, and even though I haven't played a bass in many years, I still seem to have those old bass lines in my head. I bet you'll be surprised how quickly you get into it, knowing how you play your short harps!

I intend to spend the next several months woodshedding out in the
garage, and if all the silver fillings haven't fallen out of my teeth
by then, I'll try to find a way to work it into the arsenal.   Never
held a harp so heavy, tho.  (Hmmm... I wonder if SPAH does steroid
testing at the convention?)  :)

Yup. You can "pump brass" while you play! Remind me not to try to arm wrestle with Danny. :)

Seriously I doubt the bass will have a lot of application with the
Tom & Kenny show.  But (assuming I can learn to play it,) I hope it
will be a useful tool for what has thankfully turned out to be a
growing demand for session work.  Of course it'd take a lifetime to
play even close to the way Dick (or my pal Danny Wilson) plays, but I
s'pose it's never too late to start? <shrug>

The bass harp is way cool. It can make many different sounds, under control of your embouchure. You can even make it sound amazingly like a didgeridoo. It would make a scary backdrop for a horror flick (you'll see what I mean when you get yours). And don't forget "Sanford and Son." I'm sure there'll be lots of studio opportunities.

But don't sell the bass short with the Tom and Kenny show. I think it would sound great with some of Kenny's ragtime guitar!

I can't help but get a chuckle, though, thinking about you accompanying yourself on a racked bass harp while you play "Berceuse" on your guitar. 8^)

In any event, thanks, Michelle, for your input!  You've obviously
done your homework on the basses...  (For example I didn't realize
the Suzuki bass had welded-on reeds.)

Well, to tell the truth I've never even ~seen~ a Suzuki bass, but they make a big deal about the precision of their reed welding and laser tuning manufacturing techiques. I think that applies across their line of harmonicas, but somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

How do you reckon you'll employ your bass? Let us know?

Actually, I have a guitar playing buddy. By sheer coinicidence we are working up a little ragtime-ish number, so I have first-hand knowledge with that. We do a neat minor jazz thing with him on a drum midi interface. I also want to work on supporting a reggae beat with the bass harp.

BTW, playing a little bass harp has made me focus on a more "minimalist" approach than my usual diatonic style, in a way that has bettered my playing on the smaller instrument.

Tom Ball <-- soon to be butchering the low frequencies in Santa Babs

I doubt that ~very~ seriously!

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to hearing you play your new bass harp.

Cheers,

Michelle