Re: [Harp-L] Echo Vamper

Steve Shaw wrote:

This is not a double-reeded Echo, but an ancient 12-hole diatonic in C that a friend has just given me. It has a wood comb with red paintall round the edges. The nearest fit to "today's" harps would be the 364 Marine Band I guess (same harp?). To say the least it was in a bit of a state, but I've cleaned it, fine-tuned it and gapped it and it's now one of the loudest, responsive, most raucous and most agreeable harps I own. I still have a serious problem though. He must have stored it damp, because the covers have hundreds of tiny corrosion spots that make it almost too rough on the lips to play for more than a couple of minutes. Can I do anything about this, such as use a fine abrasive, or will I make it worse? Any suggestions welcome. This harp is worth saving.

Steve

Hi, Steve.
Indeed, it is the same harmonica with different covers. Having said that, you might as well install new Marine Band 364 covers on it.
Another option is to use steel wool to remove the dust. I guess that the covers are chrome plated. Sind chrome is harder than steel, the wool shouldn't leave marks on it, only remove the softer rust. But test it on a small protion first, to be sure.

All the best,
Fernando