[Harp-L] Audix Fireball

Dear List,

Based in part of the feedback I'd seen on Harp-L I recently bought a Fireball. I was able to use it in a gig tonight for the first time and wanted to give a quick report. I ran it through a Harp Commander with a line out to the PA and a second line out to my amp (an old tube amp that I use as my on-stage 'monitor'; pointed towards me). The main problem I have in gigs is hearing myself clearly (forget about the luxury of trying to achieve the perfect tone!). If I can't hear myself my playing is crap and I get frustrated (it's not that great when I can hear myself!).

We're often playing in clubs, etc. with so-so sound systems and between two guitars and bass and drums by the end of a set I often can barely hear myself in the mix. If I turn up too loud (with the HC) I get feedback (both in my own amp and through the PA/monitors). I used to use an SM57 (and sometimes an EV638). I'd end up cupping the SM57 (vs. playing it on the mic stand) just so I could hear myself. We play mostly originals (honky tonk/country) so I'm not really trying to get an overdriven Chicago sound, just a little edge.

With all of that as context I can say that the Fireball performed quite well. It was a small club with a funky PA and we had to set up quickly (no sound man, of course). I was able to get very good volume from the Fireball with no feedback (I can tell because I could turn my amp up well beyond the point it normally feeds back). I could HEAR myself, and when the band got louder (as they always do) I could turn up my amp enough to still hear myself. The tone is fine for my purposes. I add a little compression and roll off the high end. No one is going to mistake me for Dennis Grueling, but that's sound doesn't really fit with this music (even if I could play that well!). This is only the first time out, so I'll see how it goes with subsequent gigs. For someone in my situation (where simply hearing myself clearly in the mix is not always a given) the Fireball worked much better than my 57 (or my old 520D for that matter).

Best wishes,
Grant Kester

p.s. I got the Fireball from Northern Sound and Light for around $128 (shipping included).