Re: [Harp-L] Jammin' blues in Paris

Wow, I wish Caveau des Oubliettes listed their blues jam, their jazz jam on Wednesdays was really superb.

Indeed France may yet help preserve and revive the blues idiom, but I haven't experienced the demise of Blues stateside, at least not yet.
I do hear a slight difference in the sound of some blues players here, i call it more melodic, more jazz-oriented, as compared to more rhythmic and funky, e.g., the difference between Papa John Creach and Stephane Grapelli, I suspect it may relate to those who learned by ear, and those who are more trained in terms of notated music. Uh oh! Never mind! I didn't say that!!

As for your jams stateside, it sounds like you need to kick-start a different jam! At our Elmtree jams in Pasadena we kick it out with good energy, not for technical prowess or innovation, but for the energy and musical conversation, and many pros come and play, as do many rank amateurs such as myself, and there are no complaints, just fun and music. Also no venue to fund, but a happy crowd.

Defensive note: I am a rank amateur, and I am happy playing old-fashioned and simple-assed blues, as I heard it and kinda learned it as a kid in the 50's and 60's. In fact, I am almost embarassed to say on this most august list, I am still challenged - and fulfilled - by, simple 12-bar second position gutbucket blues. But with my limits, it's no surprise. I simply play for fun, and 'cause I have to.

For pros, it's a different deal, they need to accomplish some different stuff, in terms of filling seats, moving butts, challenging conventions, being distinctive, raising the technical bar, etc. all vital and good, and I love much of what's being done professionally. The pros earn their scant bread many times over, and we should support them (many of you pros on this marvelous list deserve so much more than you get! Yes in many ways, ha ha!)

For me playing harp is just about my own need for its therapeutic benefits, I suppose, for the musical conversation, for the energy, and for my own selfish soul. Not (in my case, personally) for the audience, for any venue or such, thank goodness, and so I am probably guilty of not advancing the blues. I am definitely guilty of not being professional, and I sure don't try to horn in on the space occupied by those who need to pay their rent with their harps. I couldn't, I wouldn't.

Nonetheless, next time I'm in Paris on a Sunday, I will go check out the friendly and cozy Caveau des Oubliettes at 52 Rue Galande right near Notre Dame Cathedral, past the Petit Pont!

Merci beaucoup, Ansel!