Re: [Harp-L] First position blues

When playing 1st position, playing over the IV chord is particularly
challenging, because it's basically like playing 12th position, for
example in F on a C harp.  Most of the notes are there, but some of
the most useful ones in the first and second octave require bends
and overblows.  Again, using the F-on-a-C-harp example, the 1 note
falls on the 2d'', the 3 note on the 3d'', and the 5 note on 4b.
And while the major 7th is on the 5b, the flat 7th is 4ob.  When you
move up a little on the harp it gets a little easier, where the 1
note is on 5d, the 3 on 6d, the 5th on 7b.  Here the 8b is the major
7th and the flat 7th is the 8b', so you have some nice blow bending
expression there.

-tim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Fugazzi
<mfugazzi67@xxxx> wrote:
Ok, so I am trying to teach myself how to follow chord
progressions.  I've been working with the basic 12 bar I IV V.
Sometimes I use overblows over the IV and sometimes I don't.  My
sticking point lately has been playing riffs in 1st position on the
IV that make a nice transition back to the I.  Any riffs or advice
with or without overblows?  Guidelines for following chord changes
in blues?

I've also tried just playing songs in 1st, which is much easier then
filling the two bars.  I know the scales, but I am having a hard
time getting past just using the scale.

I have also been trying to learn scale patterns in 1st pos. with
overblows (very hard).  Hopefully this will help with my hearing the
notes correctly.

Thanks!

Mike Fugazzi
Harmonica/Vocals