[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 20, Issue 93

It was an amazing set, great music.  When they all
came back on stage to play together, they were one
bullet mike short.  J Monque' D(spelling) local guy
from New Orleans, did not have a mike.  He just kind
of stood around not knowing what to do, everybody kind
of ignored him, then James Cotton passed him his
bullet mike, and had somebody pass him a vocal mike.
Real class act by James, and he sounded as good or
better than anyone else though the vocal mike.

I am amazed no one else from Harp-L has posted about
this (even more
amazed if I was the only one from Harp-L there), but
at the New Orleans
Jazz & Heritage Festival on Sunday, there was a
"Tribute to Little
Walter", hosted by "Jumpin'" Johnny Sansone and
featuring James Cotton,
Charlie Musselwhite, Carey Bell and Jerry Portnoy.
Each player (including
Sansone, a New Orleans player who's not as well known
as the others but
most definitely in their league) played about three or
four songs
apiece, and then everyone came up on stage together
and played about three
songs.

It was truly a classic set, if for no other reason
than the assemblage
of these five names on stage at one of the greatest
annual music events
in the world.  As someone standing in front of me
right by the stage
said, "This is like the Super Bowl of blues
harmonica."  I took a bunch
of pictures and will try to post them online soon.

Scott