Re: Re: [Harp-L] overblow begginner question

Richard Lister wrote:
> So what can you do?
> 1. Buy a custom harp set up for overblows.
<snip>
2. Set up a harp yourself.
<snip>
3. Block the blow reed.
<snip>

If you are an overblow beginner, I suggest approach number 2 above.
When you're first learning to overblow the gaps of your harp may be
quite a bit lower than an optimum gap for normal playing.  Once you
get the feel of starting and holding (and manipulating) an overblow
bend, you'll find that you can increase the gaps significantly and
still hit the overblows reliably.

I don't recommend blocking the reed as a method to learn how to
overblow, since a large part of the challenge is getting the blow
reed to choke, and that action is not needed if you're blocking it
by hand.  It works if you just want to hear what an overblow sounds
like, or to prove to yourself that it's possible.

-tim