[Harp-L] ROD PIAZZA: From Sonny Jr.

I could not resist putting my two cents on this issue. Yes Rod plays loud.
To my knowledge he has some hearing loss, but he has always played either two
Concerts, two Harpkings, whatever. If it is piercingly loud to where it is
offensive, politely let him know during a break, what can it hurt. The big issue
 I have is how many of you have stuffed your asses in a van for 20 years with
a  bunch of funky musicians and done the REAL blues man scene. Rod is a
Professional harp player, he puts on a great show, is a great harp player, and  is
still making his living by playing harp and performing wherever they can.
Some nights are sound man hell, but of course, EVERY sound man is an expert and
will tell you so:) For someone to do this on the level he has consistently
for  all these years, being a true first generation passed on player from George
 Smith, hey fellas, there are not many of us left, is a testament to what he
is.  Of all the harp players in the business Rod is one I have actually never
spoken  or played with, and of course his name is on another amp, but who
cares, I  would give one of my few good body parts left to be on the road and hear
the  audience response. Then there are of course the in between gigs to make
a  few dollars to keep going on the road, where maybe not many people show up,
and  you still have to perform like it was a full house. Personally most of
my  performances lately have been solo, butt naked on stage to mostly harp
players,  and my heart still pounds from nerves after 30 + years of playing, I
just want  to put on a good show like my mentor Mr. Terry did EVERY night no
matter how  sick. So for all the touring harp players who put their ass on the
line to make  a living, my hat is off to you. Mark Hummel had to stop by my
house while on the road to fix his amp, even though at the time he was using a
Victoria, no matter, Mark is my friend. You thought it was like, How many
musicians Can you actually fit in an old van full of equipment;  all great guys,
they were happy just to have a cup of tea at my house.  There are so many topics
about harp, the actual performing with it, or talking  about the actual
instrument, and various songs guys have done, or how the HELL  did Big Walter get
that ONE note that Jerry and I hear when we listen to him,  how does Lee Oskar
get that beautiful vibrato that sets him apart from everyone  else, you could
have years of a list on trying to get to the bones of those  things and many
other topics. I have heard most of the self proclaimed guys  who list their
links, and sorry fellas, but you have a long way to go so take  your hand off
your back, you will get a rash from patting it. I am the most  critical of my
playing which is why mainly I have not put out that first  real CD, I don't feel
I am ready.  And Rod is one of those greats we will  listen to for a long
time, so give him, and all the guys that are truly saying  something their props.
Jason Ricci right now is like Lebron James, his  candle is burning like a
Super Nova, doing it over the course of 20 years will  remain to be seen, and I
hope I am there to hear that young bad boy at that  time.  I have performed
worldwide with Sonny, without those great  moments and all the ones that happen
when performing currently, I would not have  the hope and strength to fight the
fight I am now. Please don't take what  these guys do for granted, just talk
to them. And if they still don't get it the  next time, email their agent and
them and tell them the reason you can't  come hear them perform is their volume
level. We need each other, performers  need an audience, and harp players
need great players to listen to. Sonny  Jr.