[Harp-L] Re: Harp practice

What some of the best mentors have to say about :

PRACTICE

# 1 :

[Vince Lombardi ] :

" Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect .
&

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. "

# 2 :

[Paderewski, Ignacy 1860-1941 Polish Pianist Composer Patriot ] :

" If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it . "

# 3 :

[ Rose, Pete ( Great American Baseball legend ] :

" My father taught me that the only way you can make good at anything is to practice, and then practice some more. "

# 4 :

Pop Warner ( American Coach Football legend ) :

You play the way you practice.

Wayne Gretzky . All Star Canadian Hockey Player/Coach :

The only way a kid is going to practice is if it's total fun for him... and it was for me.

Hurricane sez :

# 1 :

The first person I quoted was the legend coach of the Green Bay Packers Mr." Vincent Lombardi " . This man's words continue today to motive many young potential athletes to reach what the think are their limits and in then so , many find themselve well beyond their set goal(s) because of what his words meant to them and myself .

# 2 :

Paderewski's feeling of " urgency " is imperative to have in regards to oneself and the need to constantly maintain and improve ones skills and just how easy it is to be noticed when you are not at your best due to a "lazy " attitude toward practicing .

# 3 :

You just have to love Pete Rose , and you have to love his dad too for showing a young Pete Rose to never think they have it made in the shade and to work harder than ever once your thinking you have it made and are on the top of your game .

# 4 :

I have lived by this particular quote of Pop Warner's all my competative live on the field and on stage .

# 5 :

This one says it all to me . If you don't love it more than any other thing then your not putting enough of " your all " into it .

Wayne Gretzky's attitude is amazing , I once played a whole college football season with a group of people who thought this way ( and we were undefeated too that particular year :) through the most mentally challenging time of my ( our collective ) entire athletic carreer . I mean it was a tough nut to crack that fatefull year , but with a locker room full of dedicated crazies , and a team of super great coaches we accomplished what we sought out to do that year and that was to bring a new winning tradition to a new college with a 7 year history of solid loses from it's very first year .

Conclusion :

There have been many insightfull comments made by many really talented peopel here and each is a helping hand to help you to realize your goals towards success .  Read them all and digest the stuff that works for you .

Rememeber that it's got to be fun always , it's got to be the first thing on your mind when rising and the last on your mind when you pass out in bed . When ever you can it is a thought on your mind when ever possible to try and think through " this and that " mentally on a given musical challenge .

You will find in time more than likely your friends/family , asking you stuff like " are you day dreaming " or  , " hey where's your head at ? You didn't hear what I said to you " .

It's the price one makes when trying to be an indepentdently thinking culturaled individual seeking to learn and be proficiant in the language of music making .

The comments made by others here are quite valid , but , the thing most needed here in this case is the " Wayne Gretzky " factor of , " it's got to be fun ! " to me but , YMMV ?:)

Now got out a break  a leg !

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :