[Harp-L] "Harpsters for Harpsters"

Dear Harpsters,

            I have been reading Harp-L as a non-subscribed reader just
glancing in the archives for years. I have never had the time nor the need
to get involved in any of the incredible threads and subjects, though often
truly tempted. Many of the things that have affected the fast growing
harmonica community have come as a result of  SPAH and Harp-L. Others have
also stemmed from the fact that the internet has served as a great tool for
researching info, products and trends in the harmonica world.

But, now that we have arrived and are continually growing as an incredibly
powerful music community, we have gotten so cynical that we have forgotten
what the true situation is, was, and/or should be, "Harmonica players and
enthusiast for Harmonica!", "Harpers for Harpers!"

The anniversary of "The Change", "The Big Switch" has come and gone with a
few postings of anniversary greetings from a few valued and talented
subscribers. But, at the very same time a troubling thing that happens all
too often is afloat, the stir of unnecessary friction and unfruitful
comments.

I believe we should remember that not so very long ago we had a very small
tiny voice in the music world. They believed that we were virtually
non-existent. The few products available had to be almost smuggled out of a
music shops because they didn't want those guitar players to know that they
would carry that stuff so close to their precious objects .If you had a
question or an idea, they either didn't know, didn't care or didn't want to
be bothered. Our needs were no one's priority; our money was almost no good.
We gathered together when we could, but it was almost in secret. The other
people laughed at our dreams, wishes, and thoughts. Remember they took
unfair advantage of us. They sold us products that couldn't possibly have
worked. They made lame suggestions, and finally they sold us what those
other guys wanted and needed. And, we screeched and squealed horribly for
decades until finally a group of pioneers began to lead us out of the
musical wilderness. We got the internet, we began sharing info and ideas, we
spread technology, experience, and love for each other and our little
friends called harmonicas, sometimes referred to as harps.

But, now, we have arrived. We have forgotten how they pushed, cornered and
abused us. We now believe that they made those strange boxes and gimmicks on
the floor that you step on thingies for us. We even doubt the greatest minds
that lead us out of the darkness into the light. We forget that we are still
a minority struggling to survive in a world where still from time to time we
still hear them say "Those guys aren't really musicians" "Those things
aren't really instruments" and "Those are toys that everyone got for a joke
when they were kids." We still don't receive the respect, understanding, or
regard that is piled on those other guys. We are only strong when we remain
strong. United amongst ourselves, for ourselves, and striving for our
advancement. Not fighting amongst ourselves. Making ridiculous comments,
inciting small wars, and breaking us into little pockets or cells only
divide us, fracture our community and hinder our march forward together.

They didn't do anything for us, they didn't make anything for us, and they
only abused our already heavy hearts and took total advantage of us. And,
now we begin again to help them, divide us, and slow down the steady
progress that we have made.

Our leaders are many.respect them. Our primary areas of contention are
advancement and preservation, education, technology, products, and supply.
Then we get down to the nitty gritty and that would be the thousands of ways
to play and perform these things. Maybe not in this order, but by now you
all get the idea. Don't block our steady stream, help it to flow. Don't form
or take sides, just help to give info so others can experiment and form
their own concrete ideas based on information not ridiculous comments. And,
our pioneers, harmonica players who have developed break through equipment
and ideas, support them with all your hearts, inspiration, and money. We've
given our money and support to the guys that intentionally ripped us off for
years. Let's spread our money to our own first. Reward, encourage, and
promote those within our community because without them we lose drive,
stability and a true future for the harmonica world. "Harpsters for
Harpsters!"

Be intelligent, be resourceful, experiment, ask questions, but make your own
decisions. Don't rely on others for your direction; make your own. Use the
information; don't be used by the info. Your taste, your ears and your sound
are all yours. Don't follow the taste, ears, or sound of others until you
have truly listened to the multitudes. Be an individual; trust in yourself
after you have sorted the help and info from others.

Brothers and sisters of the tongue, lungs, hands and mouth.I salute you! I
respect you! And, I love you! As complicated as we be!